Safety First: Preparing For Hurricane Season
Living near the coast with its breathtaking views and temperate climate is ordinarily wonderful. However, there’s one major danger associated with coastal living, hurricanes. Statistics show that 97% of hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin occur between June 1 and November 30. The basin includes the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and the Gulf of Mexico. It’s hurricane season!
The most important people you can protect during any disaster are you and your family. The best way to do that in the case of hurricanes is to get out of the path of the storm. Having a plan for your evacuation helps you do just that. Your plan should include where you’ll go, how you’ll get there, and where you’ll stay once you’re there. Expect hotels and shelters to fill quickly, so try to stay with friends or family. Have at least two planned routes in the event one becomes blocked. While planning for a storm, don’t forget to plan for your furry friends. Many shelters will house dogs and cats in an emergency.
Don’t forget a crank-powered or battery-operated radio. Look for a weather-band radio with a cell phone charging port to keep you connected in case of a power outage. Make copies of all your important identifying information. Keep originals or hard copies of all important documents in a secure location, like a safe deposit box.
Remember to be financially prepared. If power or communication services are out, your debit and credit cards may not work. Have enough cash around in a safe location so you can use it if necessary to pay for a hotel stay or a week of groceries. You can’t stop hurricanes from coming, but you can take steps to prepare you and your family. Here are ways to prepare financially for hurricane season.
• Apply today for VISA Debit Cards at any CSE location. Use VISA® Debit Card wherever VISA is accepted within the U.S.
• Enroll in CSE’s account access services:
CSE Mobile– Account access on your mobile device or smartphone. Download the app today!
CSE Online– Account access with Bill Pay, e-Statements, PopMoney, and more. Enrollment required for this service. Contact a CSE representative for details.
• Sign-up for direct deposit through your employer (CSE’s routing number is 265274859)
• Know your account number(s)
• Know your PIN(s)
• Have extra CASH and Checks
• ATM Access ATM networks: Pulse, Plus, CU Here, Discover, VISA, Cirrus, or American Express
• Utilize CO-OP Shared Branching 1.888.748.3266 or visit online co-opcreditunions.org
• Check the CSE website for updates, links, and account access.
BE AWARE IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY CSE FCU MAY CLOSE.
Call (337) 477-2000 for more information.
Disaster Hotline 888.699.3499